Getting an MOT in Oldham
Tips To Make Your MOT Go Smoothly
If you own a car that is more than three years old an annual Ministry of Transport Test, commonly known as an MOT, is legally required. The purpose of the test is to make sure that your vehicle meets legally set minimal safety standards and does not produce excess emissions. If your car is in a good overall condition and you are able to do a few basic checks before you take it in for the test, it should be easy enough to get your MOT certificate.
MOT Oldham – Basics
There are a number of centres in Oldham that will do the MOT test. However, some will only do the test itself and will not perform any necessary repairs leaving you to organise the repairs elsewhere and then have the car retested. Some garages will do any repairs that are required when they perform the test and this obviously makes life easier because a free re-test on the day can be performed and you can be back on the road. However, you do not have to use the garage that does the test, you are free to take it to another garage if you wish.
When charging for the MOT a garage or test centre cannot charge above the limit set by the Ministry of Transport. However they can, and many do, offer discounts. Be aware that you can arrange the test up to one month before the old one expires and the old MOT will still be valid even if repairs are identified in the test.
The MOT itself should not be used instead of proper maintenance. While the test can establish that the car passes a specific set of safety criteria and is within acceptable emissions limits it does not necessarily give an indication of the overall condition of the vehicle.
The test takes about 60 minutes although you have to factor in wait time if there are other cars at the centre. If your vehicle does not pass a list of faults will be given that you need to rectify before having the vehicle retested.
There are three classifications for failures: Minor, major and dangerous. If your vehicle is found to have a dangerous fault you can no longer drive it. If the garage does repairs you can opt to have them take care of this for you, or you may need to have the car towed to a garage if you are using a centre that does not do repairs. If the faults come back as minor or major you can still use the car and your current MOT retains its validity until its normal expiration date.
An MOT In Oldham – Getting A Hassle Free Pass
Don’t leave your test until the last minute. Try to book the test a minimum of 10 days before the old MOT runs out. If you do need repairs to pass this gives you plenty of time.
Check the fuel and oil in your car before you arrive for the test. The car will be turned away if they do not meet a minimum level.
Many vehicles will fail their test due to a small defect that could have easily been fixed before the car arrived for the test. If you perform some basic checks beforehand you can make sure they get looked at before you book, making it much more likely to pass.
MOT In Oldham – Basic Checks And Quick Fixes
- Declutter the car. Make sure the vehicle is clean inside and out as this can lead to a failure.
- Check the windscreen. It should be free from cracks and there should not be anything that obstructs the view of the driver. If a sticker is in the area covered by the wipers it has to go. Also there should be windscreen wiper fluid so be sure to top that up.
- Registration plates should be kept in good condition, clean and readable. If you have personalised, non-standard plates, be aware that some of these do not comply with the rules so you will need to make sure yours does before taking the test.
- Check your tyres. All tyres should be inflated to the correct pressure, including any spares. Look at the condition of the tyres – are they cracked or bulging? Is the tread depth OK? Change any that need replacing before the test.
- Front seats – check the adjustments and make sure they are working well. Seatbelts should be in good general condition as well as being able to latch properly and lock when pulled sharply.
- All lights, wipers and indicators must be working so replace any bulbs that need it. If the wiper blades need replacing do this now. Misaligned, broken or worn out blades will fail the test. Make sure the horn works.
- Are there warning lights on the dashboard when you switch on your engine? How does the engine sound? If it is noisy think about the exhaust. If you are getting smoke in the vehicle or excessive or dark smoke from the exhaust, again look at the exhaust as you may need to get this fixed before you take the test.
- Squealing or problem brakes will mean a fail so fix these, and check the handbrake before you take the test.
Servicing Master offers an easy, hassle-free MOT in Oldham, and with a network of quality garages across Manchester we can even pick up your vehicle and return it to you, you can also book a courtesy car if you still need transport or relax with a free fresh coffee in the waiting room. The test is carried out by an independent team to avoid bias.
For an MOT in Oldham and nearby areas, use our quick form to make a booking. If you decide to go ahead you will get a friendly, personal and high-quality service that’s hassle free as the full Servicing Master experience includes the collection and delivery of your vehicle PLUS a free washing and vacuuming. Once you try Service Master you will never get your car MOT or service the old fashioned way again.
Get A Quote Now
Why waste any more time searching for a reputable professional garage wth a good rate. Simply click the Get Started button below to complete our quick and easy quote form, we’ll do all the work for you and there’s no obligation.
These guys do what they say on the tin. I work for NHS so I am usually always at work these guys collected it while I worked, liaised via email as i couldn’t answer the phone.
Carried out the work and dropped it back off for me, Happy with the service and the nice touch at the end vehicle came back nice and clean!
30 Jan 2019
Top service, knew straight away what the problem was. Had it back next day which was great, glad I’ve found a garage I can use in the future would defiantly recommend. Even gave my car a wash.
Had my car service and mot with Bury branch. Excellent service kept me posted with everything they were doing. Professional, friendly and helpful definitely recommend them. Thanks.
EASY FROM THE START!
Booked online, great realistic price, none of this cheap drag you in and shake you down when you get there. Car collected from work, serviced and mot all done and straight forward, I needed an additional bulb which they rung me and told me.
Car delivered before I finished work and they even gave it a long awaited wash and vacc Lol!
All done from my desk at work defiantly be using them for my wife and daughters vehicles!
30 Jan 2019
Great people to deal with. Trusted with my family’s cars for many many years. Great service, go the extra mile. Thoroughly recommend for anyone looking for work on their car whatever the marque.
Just a quick line, I have finally found a garage where I have complete confidence. Professional and informative, Lisa and Mike are a pleasure to deal with. Thank you.